Version control

Forums Ideas Version control

This topic contains 10 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  charisnix 1 week ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    KPinch

Currently BSt is keeping the project in a proprietary .bsdesign file that cannot be version controlled and thus is unfit for team collaboration or proper project management.

Is it in the plans to make is version controllable?

Martin Angelov
    Bootstrap Studio Developer

Thank you for the suggestion!

Unfortunately it won’t be possible to change the format that Bootstrap Studio uses. But it is possible to use Git’s Large File Storage extension to keep it as a binary file in git (if this is your version control software of choice).

Stalski

How does BS recommend working together in team then? We tried to work with different designs & pages but that is not ideal of course, since you want to reuse what the other has built.

Martin Angelov
    Bootstrap Studio Developer

The easiest way to collaborate is to keep your bsdesign files in Dropbox/Google Drive/One Drive. It would be awesome if we had real time collaborative editing, but for now having a shared .bsdesign file is the best that can be done.

buddhi741

im having the same issue
    can we have a managed site be shared between people
    that would be a step forward for team colabs
    you can put a add site to manage feature

Hi Martin,
    I’m starting to use BS on my company that normally works with teams. We are facing now the problem of version control and the solution you wrote is the same we are thinkng to use. Of course a GIT integrated functionality is what we expect to have in the (near) future because not having it makes difficult to collaborative work on a prototype. I see also that this is a very commmon request.
    As a suggestion, a way to do this without fully support GIT inside BS can be to let BS to work not only with the proprietary .bsdesign format but with the generated version of the site (that is made by .html, .css, etc. text files that can be used with GIT as usual).
    In this way we can easily team working in this way:

1) create a new prototye with BS (as usual)
    2) export the prototype in the full exploded format (.html, .css, etc.) – feature already implemented in BS
    3) push the full BS exported prototype directory under GIT (as you will do with a normal code directory on GIT)
    4) When a team user wants to work with the prototype, just fetch the dir from GIT, open BS and tell it to “import the design from full web site directory” (this should be the new feature to implement)
    5) When to modifications are complete, the user just have to repeat the steps 2 and 3, eventually merging modifications done meanwhile from other team users.

Regards
    Christian

abolinger

While this isn’t ideal, you can just create a directory on your hard drive, init a git repo in the directory, and export the site from the app into the directory. As you make changes/tweaks within Bootstrap Studio, you can just export, add the files to a commit with a comment and push them to GitHub or wherever.

Folks who use this for SEO, etc. might want to track tags, anchors, etc. over time and this would enable you to do so, albeit in HTML, not Bootstrap Studio.

While this isn’t ideal, you can just create a directory on your hard drive, init a git repo in the directory, and export the site from the app into the directory. As you make changes/tweaks within Bootstrap Studio, you can just export, add the files to a commit with a comment and push them to GitHub or wherever.

What you wrote is exactly what I mean in steps 2 and 3, but the problem is that to complete the team working you need to do also the step 5 (that needs the new “import the design from full web site directory” functionality in BS).

Hoping BS will soon support a way to effectively team working on its projects. I spent hours and take a project risk to convince my developers to buy and use BS, and they all asking for such improvement. How should I disappoint them? 😀

What you wrote is exactly what I mean in steps 2 and 3, but the problem is that to complete the team working you need to do also the step 5 (that needs the new “import the design from full web site directory” functionality in BS).

I mean “step 4” not 5.

Hello
    we +1 this feature, because there is so much companies where there is not only one ergonom, designer, or that kind of people. And we think that BS must not be locked for only independant workers (right, no ?). There would be more users (and more buyer hehe) if BS was really able to work for teams.

And that’s not the case. 🙁

Ok, you can version the “bsdesign” package but it’s only interesting to save your personal work, not for team work. Indeed : in a team, we want to be able at least to work on different pages and don’t generate conflicts when we push. The core problem is this zip binary package, because obviously, if I’m working on Page1, and my colleague on Page2, nor Git nor any other versioning system could merge our different work, even if we didn’t touch same things.

charisnix

We +1 this feature as well. Checking to see what other teams may be doing to achieve this.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.