Version 4.5.8 is out!

Forums Announcements Version 4.5.8 is out!

This topic contains 20 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  PervasiveRichesLLC 1 week, 6 days ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Valued

I can concur that you need to put paths in differently when you use custom code. It has been that way as long as I’ve been using the program though, that’s not anything that this update did at all.

As for the CSS cleanup, actually @printninja, although I would also think it should be addressing all of the css, I can imagine they figured that the editing of the original CSS files would mess up newbies so … yeah the newbie card … I’m pulling it … lol. Since we don’t really have access to it in the app, it makes sense that we wouldn’t have access to editing it even via a cleanup list. Also I think it also falls into the category of it would mess up the updates. Since some updates do update the Bootstrap files … that would mean it could potentially overwrite all of your hard work removing unused classes.

But … having said all that, I think 2 major things should happen with this yet:
    1. It should give us the ability to print the lists out (preferably one long list with just bolded, highlighted titles for each CSS page). This would give us a whole lot more versatility in double checking the classes since I’m pretty sure the Cleanup does per page correct? We need to have a way to be sure we aren’t removing classes being used on another page. If it’s doing the whole project and not per page then this wouldn’t be quite as detrimental, but would still be a helpful thing to have the ability to print the lists.

2. Let us use the Cleanup feature on the list of unused Bootstrap CSS and allow us to make our own decision as to if we want to remove them. In my opinion, this app really does have way too many control features in it that are hindering the web designer/developer from using it to it’s fullest. This is just adding to the list of already way to many controls.
    We’re adults (well most of us are I’m sure) and capable of deciding for ourselves what we do and don’t need for our sites and in this case, we are capable of deciding for ourselves if we want to remove unused Default Bootstrap CSS.
    . . . . . . . a. Why not give us the list, let us print it out and do what we will to our own CSS files. After all, it’s not like it won’t put it all back the next time we update a website so we aren’t ever really losing it permanently.
    . . . . . . . b. No need to give us the ability to remove it within the app, just give us the ability to print the list so we can manually remove it from our own files on export. We can easily make a backup of our cleaned up CSS file and replace it each time we export a site so it’s a win win, you don’t need to worry about the newbies, because the app will regenerate the full Bootstrap CSS file each time it exports so they get it back if they screw it up.

Just my 10 cents on that subject – We need to be able to clean that up too, a half done feature isn’t as useful as a complete one.

Printninja

Personally, I’d love it if there was (even buried somewhere in a menu) a setting called “expert mode” that simply disabled all the restrictions, locked objects, and gave us full access to the HTML and CSS.

sercanarga
    Larsene

Just one thing : why the editor panel doesn’t remember his position and size, and stay open ?? Everytime i’m opening Bootstrapstudio I’ve to reopen this panel…

Martin Angelov
    Bootstrap Studio Developer

@jo

Also I think it also falls into the category of it would mess up the
    updates. Since some updates do update the Bootstrap files … that would
    mean it could potentially overwrite all of your hard work removing
    unused classes.

This is exactly the reason we don’t allow Bootstrap to be changed. We update the builtin Bootstrap framework periodically (as we’ll do in our next update due to Bootstrap 4.4.0). Modifying Bootstrap would make such updates impossible, and will also break the CDN functionality.

For CSS Cleanup:

• It runs on the entire project, not page per page. We will add a note in the Unused CSS dialog to make this clear.
    • As for the limitations, they are there because the app can’t know in advance whether class names or elements won’t be changed with JS. The cleanup shows the unused CSS at the moment it’s run. The best we can do is to add a note mentioning the limitations, which we’ll do in the next update.

@printninja

Personally, I’d love it if there was (even buried somewhere in a menu)
    a setting called “expert mode” that simply disabled all the
    restrictions, locked objects, and gave us full access to the HTML and
    CSS.

I’m afraid I can’t see how this would work in practice. This amounts to having an entirely separate program, and switching between the two with a setting. Instead I think we should focus on making Bootstrap Studio the most powerful visual builder possible. People who need full HTML editing prefer code editors like Visual Studio Code and Sublime Text anyway. With the upcoming 5.0 update we will bridge the gap somewhat.

People who need full HTML editing prefer code editors like Visual Studio Code and Sublime Text anyway. With the upcoming 5.0 update we will bridge the gap somewhat.

Yes, 100% right you are. And you’ve peaked my interest in the ‘bridging of the gap’. VS Code is wonderful, and BSS is easy and fast. Bootstrap 5.0 will be interesting.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.