uploaded page doesnt look like preview?

Forums Help and How To uploaded page doesnt look like preview?

This topic contains 31 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  magpie 6 days, 21 hours ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • Author

Hi, yeah i tried to get rid of the stock pics, but i actually could not find them in the body! it was late, so i am going to have another go today.

and the answer to the second question is i want a space and i dont know how to get one! ithough div meant a space but nope!
    can you please tell me what i should use?
    im guessing its a really simple thing but its eluded me so far!
    thanks for the reply, i really do appreciate your help!

i really am pretty green, it took me 2 hours to work out the collapse thing, to get the pics inside it, and i was oh so proud of myself!!!

what i would like to know to is how to get the pics to go smaller so it looks better on an ipad? i just realised this morning on my ipad, 4 in a roe goes down to three, and the odd ones go in a line by themselves!

once again, thankyou to you both, i really appreciate it! cheers

Jo
    Valued

At the risk of repeating myself these days lol, you really should find some tutorials on HTML/HTML5 and CSS/CSS3 and then after that go through the Bootstrap website and see how things are done there. Although the BSS app is fairly drag and droppable, it’s definitely not “only” drag and droppable. You do need a fair amount of knowledge of how the code works to make sure you get things how you want it.

My philosophy is … why use hours to figure out 1 thing, when you can use those same hours in tutorials, and then understand why it took you so long to figure out that one thing. 😛

Anyways it’s a good idea and I’d encourage it immensely if you really want to get things working nicely.

magpie

wow, well ok, thanks for that!
    ive tried following the tutorials on the boostrap page, however he speaks very quickly, i am 33%deaf, so i have to keep going over it, so i muddle along.
    this website is a volunteer thing for my hubbys carclub, i actually wrote a website in html 15 years ago for a business i had, and it worked just fine! but things have changed. so i was looking for an easier option, the reviews for bootstrap studio were good, and it said it was drag and drop and easy. (I tried something else first that was impossible). i guess it is easy – if you build websites for a living.
    im a mechanic by trade. if you ask me how to change a tyre (you know the basics that everyone should know, ala making a space!) i would just tell you, i would not suggest you go to trade school. I could also tell you in detail how to take an incredible long exposure photo or a perfect portrait pic, which is still, just my hobby, without making you feel stupid. i dont take it personally, i see you give a lot of people here the same advice! cheers, ill keep muddling along!

Printninja

I just took a quick look and I see empty divs in the gallery (no thumbnail) with links to full sized images, so that’s one problem.

You can space any component in Bootstrap using utility spacing classes, for example pb-3 which is the same as adding the CSS
    .pb-3 {
    padding-bottom: 3rem !important;
    }

or mt-lg-5 which would add
    @media (min-width: 768px) {
    .mb-md-5 {
    margin-bottom: 3rem!important;
    }
    }

The way you set the sizing of the images on various devices is by setting the column widths at each breakpoint. Bootstrap uses a 12 column grid, so the column widths always add up to 12. For example, if you have a row with 6 column each containing one image at your largest screen size, that would mean each column has a width of 2 at the XL breakpoint. They might also be 2 at the LG breakpoint, and then drop down to 3 at the MD breakpoint (so you’d have 4 images because 3×4=12) . If you want two images side by side on mobile which is the default (smallest size) you’d have your columns set to 6 (6×2=12). The columns will flow down, so you’d end up with 2 images, then 2 more images, and then 2 more images all stacked. To space between them you’d add spacing classes.

Remember, you should start with your smallest (mobile) layout first, and then go up from them.

You need to study up on Bootstrap and learn what all the various classes do. The whole point of using a CSS framework is to save time and maintain consistency throughout your website.

The official Bootstrap page is a good place to start https://getbootstrap.com/docs/3.4/css/

And this site can be very helpful until you commit the various classes you use regularly to memory… https://hackerthemes.com/bootstrap-cheatsheet/

You’re going to run into many, many more obstacles as you learn, and honestly I don’t have the time to explain how to do everything each time you get stuck. You’ve got to read up. Put in the leg work. A couple of hours spent studying, watching the video tutorials and following along by building the sites along with the video will go a long way to saving you dozens of hours down the road.

So go get to work!!! LOL! And have fun.

magpie

jo, i asked for help, you dont want to help, fine just dont reply. its that easy.

magpie

print ninja, once again, thankyou so much , i really appreciate you taking the time to give me such a detailed reply, and i will definitely have a look at those links, cheers

Printninja

I also meant to mention, you should make all your thumbnail images the same size (rather than trying to size them in containers using CSS. It will make your galleries neater and more consistent. Any image editing software (like Gimp https://www.gimp.org/ ) can allow you to do this.

If you want to send me your .bsdesign file, I’ll set up the spacing classes for you on one of your galleries so you can see how it’s done, and then reverse engineer how I did it to learn for future reference.

(PS – I was a mechanic in my youth. Had a two bay garage. Also owned a speed shop, drag raced for years and built hundreds of race engines.)

magpie

oh wow, awesome! hubby loves his cars! I had a trail bike as a kid, which is why i did an apprenticeship. id be happy to send you the file, it would certainly be easier if i could see it and copy it! THANKYOU SO MUCH. do i just attach it here?
    i actually thought ihad made them the same size when i exported the pics in lightroom, ill have to check my settings. actually no, the problem is i crop them unevenly! i need to stop that its a bad habit! thankyou again, cheers, jo

Printninja

@magpie

You can send your .bsdesign file to me via this link…

https://www.dropbox.com/request/IvryGj1SUpFWutbtNlVD

Jo
    Valued

Wow @magpie, seriously, you obviously have a bad attitude on your end, because my attitude was not negative towards you in the least. I stated only that you would need some knowledge to use this app to it’s fullest and I didn’t say it nasty in any way so if you took it that way, then that’s on you.

Consider yourself on my list of “do not help” people. I personally don’t like to be treated disrespectfully when I “AM” being helpful, and haven’t said a bad word to you doing it. Have a good day.

magpie

thankyou Print Ninja, done, thanks again, have a great day! cheers

magpie

Hi, just wondering if you got the upload?
    ive never used drop box before!
    cheers and thanks, jo

Printninja

@magpie

Yes, sorry, I did get the file but have been absolutely swamped with holiday orders. I will do my best to set up the file for you in the next few days (prob this weekend.)

magpie

gosh no, not this weekend before christmas! no hurry, i just wanted to be sure! cheers and thankyou

magpie

hiya, just checkin in!!! cheers

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.