Edit locked Bootsrap CSS components

I bought BSS the other day and i've never looked back. It's quite amazing. I had a steep learning curve due to my natural inclination never to watch a tutorial on You Tube but after that I maaged to do exactly what i wanted how i wanted it. Being new(ish) with limited experience on Bootsrap and web-coding in general BSS made it easy to implement what i knew and quickly pick up new things.

The only suggestion i have is that you guys make it possible to edit BSS components after adding them to a page. For instance - i wold like to customize the css classes for a navbar but the links all have the little lock next to them making them impossible to edit outright meaning i need to build the entire thing from scratch, which is tedious if you only want to edit one tiny little code string. The same goes for the preset .js files. There are javascripts running (like the one controlling the drop down menu) that i cannot just go edit - i need to rewrite an entire js code from scratch, and for someone who knows 2 commands in java thats quite hard. I'll probably only be able to edit this once i export my project, which means i can't easily add things.

For the rest i am very happy with the program as a whole. I love the live preview and online preview functions and the smart css styling is amazing. Took me a while to figure out that the right-hand pane hard codes the style into the line (because i didn't watch a tutorial) but once i discovered how BSS handles CSS I loved it. I also like the very helpful and active forums which have helped guide my learning immensely.

May BSS continue to expand and evolve!!!

Regards Derick

I'd +1 this, but ... I don't think it will have any impact as I don't believe they plan to do this no matter how many (which there have been many) people ask for it. I understand their theory as to why they don't want to do it (they don't want newbs to break their sites), but I don't understand why they don't want to do something the majority of the people have complained about. That's almost always the first post of everyone that comes to the forums (well those that have coding knowledge that is).

I really wish they would cater to those of us that have been coding instead of those that want to use the app with no experience in site design at all. There's a ton of apps for the inexperienced to through a site together out there already, but there isn't much out there that caters to the fairly experienced designers. It's a great app otherwise. Just that the locked status on components and elements makes more work for those of us that have a clue. I believe it takes too much control out of our hands which is where it should be.

That's my rant and I'm stickin' to it lol.

If I've not misunderstood, you need to copy it to edit. Hover over the lock and you will see the message. Then click on the three dots and copy to, say, styles.css.

Haha! Thanks Jo and i completely stand by your rant and argument. BSS users for more control unite!!!:()

@digital I'm talking of editing a BSS component such as say.. a navbar or carousel. You cannot completely customize it and what i've ended up doing was copying the contents out of their blocks and into my own divs so i have more control over what i want. However you cannot do this with items like the navbar-toggler (which you need to be able to customise if you want, say, an animated button on mobile screens).

You CAN "copy to HTML", but that means a custom code. And then you lose the component structure in "overview" and i really love that feature. Up to now i've been able to work around it with custom css, a lot of creative linking and leaving of nice features. They've created an "all or nothing" kind of situation wheras we would like an advanced editing mode where we can tinker and tamper with presets so that we have a working, say carousel, but can experiment with advanced features. Now if i want that i need to rebuild one from almost scratch. Including the JS that i know next-to- nothing about. For me personally that means hours of research and coding while the locked BSS carousel sits there to the left mocking me.

Totally agree with you Derick. Funny thing, I came here to suggest one small thing but your suggestion is even much of higher importance. Currently right now I'm doing the same, "copy to HTML" for the carousel snippet you can't modify. Really frustrating when you're trying to use Bootstrap Studio as your all-in-one html build before you add any dynamic or complex code. I have to come back on my IDE and modify all the components that were locked...

I totally hear you.

@Zenko

Thanks Hahaha

@everyone: I have a think i want to try and i need some advice - gonna open new thread though. Will edit here

Edit: here's the link: https://bootstrapstudio.io/forums/topic/have-the-navbar-brand-class-become-visible-after-the-navbar-sticks-to-top/

@Jo

I don’t understand why they don’t want to do something the majority of the people have complained about. That’s almost always the first post of everyone that comes to the forums (well those that have coding knowledge that is).

I really wish they would cater to those of us that have been coding instead of those that want to use the app with no experience in site design at all. There’s a ton of apps for the inexperienced to through a site together out there already, but there isn’t much out there that caters to the fairly experienced designers. It’s a great app otherwise. Just that the locked status on components and elements makes more work for those of us that have a clue. I believe it takes too much control out of our hands which is where it should be.

Nicely stated @Jo, I agree. Sadly in many areas BootStrap Studio is not conducive even with itself, confounding who it is truly targeted towards or meant for. Frustrating.

I've come to some new realizations that no one has mentioned in here as to why the code is locked actually. It makes a whole lot more sense when you look at it this way too. This was information that was given at another website for a different app that clarified completely why it's locked.

Basically their explanation was that if they unlock it, it will be changed within the app by the users. This totally negates any possibility of easily updating it when Bootstrap itself is updated and needs to be updated in the app (such as when we went from 3.3.7 to 4.0). It would be almost impossible actually, because everyone would have altered the default files that the app is using as it's base and those are the files that would be updated. What does that mean to us?

Means we would lose every single bit of custom coding we added/changed/removed/etc. to the default files and we'd have to start over.

@Martin and anyone else that's tried to defend this setup. If you had said that to us in the beginning, I bet that we would not have had all these conversations about unlocking it all to start with.

But ... We should still have the ability to duplicate all parts of a component and edit them without touching the default code itself, same as we do for the CSS. Has to be a way to do this I'm thinking, but ... I can most definitely say I agree completely with the above information about why it's locked, and it does make much more sense to me now.

ok, but my sentiment still remains ..

Sadly in many areas BootStrap Studio is not conducive even with itself, confounding who it is truly targeted towards or meant for. Frustrating.

;-)

I have to agree. BSS is often very frustrating.

Olá, estou tentando editar uma classe css bloqueada, mas mesmo eu copiando para outro arquivo css, não edita, este em especial pelo menos… porque isso acontece?
Outras classes eu consigo editar normalmente, copiando para outro arquivo css
Imagem do WhatsApp de 2023-11-09 à(s) 18.01.01_a5ec5d1c